Thursday, July 8, 2010

To Cuff or Not To Cuff

That is the question...

I have this conversation with customers all the time. When hemming pants, I almost always ask "Cuff or regular hem?" Some people, of course, know exactly what they want. But others frequently respond with "What do you think?" or "What is more stylish?" So, here are my thoughts:

We always have and still continue to do more regular hems than cuffs. Some people love cuffs, and some people hate cuffs. Some people consider cuffs to be a little dressier, therefore wanting them on dress pants, suit pants, or cotton pants that they are dressing up. I will tell people that if you don't care what type of hem you get, then just get a regular hem.

Now, here are my personal thoughts -- I don't like cuffs. They look like you rolled up your pants -- how does that look dressier? Cuffs were very big with the golfers a few years ago, but that didn't last very long once they found out that cuffs catch a lot of sand, grass clippings, dirt, leaves, rocks, and anything else small enough to fit inside a turned up cuff. When they got home at the end of the day, they had to clean all of that out of their cuffs. I hardly ever recommend cuffs to anyone, mostly because I hardly ever wear cuffs myself. I have one pair of khaki pants that I bought off-the-rack, pre-hemmed with cuffs, and they always sit in my closet and only get worn if they are my last clean pair of pants.

So, the moral of this debate is: If you want cuffs, I'll do it, and they are stylishly acceptable, but I don't recommend them.

No comments: